CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 18, 2012

COOP IS CLEARED AND NOTHING IS SLOWING HIM DOWN.....

I am sorry I have left everyone hanging about Coop.  I received a few texts and emails asking for an update so again I apologize, we just got a little busy :).  I did decide to call Coop's doctor about the things we were seeing in Cooper.  They had him come in on Friday and we ran a full set of labs.  To every one's surprise, the labs came back perfect!  We were very happy about that.  Basically Coop's trouble is stemming from an issue we have dealt with since he was born.  Coop's body's temperature mechanism does not work properly.  This is not uncommon with heart kids but Coop's seems to be a little extreme.  So basically Coop's body temperature goes from one extreme to another and does so very quickly. When his body gets too hot for too long and it cannot cool itself, his body slows it's functions down and that is when Coop becomes exhausted and sometimes a little dusky in color.  This is something Coop is going to have to learn to deal with.  He is going to have to learn to rest once in a while.  All we can do is follow his clues.  He wants to drink so much because it is his body's way of cooling but he is not dehydrated so he is drinking more than his body needs therefore causing the increase in bathroom use.  Because we refuse to cater to Coop's heart defect, we have no intention of making him slow down.  Instead we will help him learn why he feels the way he feels at times so that he might learn to take a few breaks here and there to prevent his complete exhaustion.  I think he will catch on quicker that we might think.  On Sunday late afternoon/evening he was playing outside pretty hard and was getting pretty hot.  He all the sudden headed inside.  I asked where he was going and he said very sternly, "I will take care of it."  I followed him inside not knowing what he meant and found him crawling up on the couch and covering up with a blanket. This is the hardest thing for me to understand when he is red and sweaty and yet he feels cold.  Anyway, a few minutes later he was back outside going strong.   Coop understands his heart is special and because of that special heart there are some differences in him compared to other kids.  He also understands that these differences are nothing that needs to limit him but it may make a few things a little more difficult for him.  Tonight as I put him to bed he said that his heart is working good.  I agreed and said "thanks to some amazing doctors." To which Cooper responds, "Yea but sometimes it beats too fast and sometimes it beats slow so maybe they didn't to as good as they should have."  I could not help but laugh and I told him we would leave all the little stuff up to God!  Coop said, "well you better tell him because I don't think he knows that!"  I assured him he knew but also promised him that I tell God every night!  So in a nut shell Coop is doing great and this is just one more little thing we will need to watch out for.

Our weekend was a busy one.  Terry is rebuilding and enlarging our deck.  I am super excited but it is a much bigger project than I ever expected.  My Dad, Terry and Cody worked all day Saturday and Sunday to get it framed.  While they were working crazy hard, my Mom, sisters and I were running the kids around and running errands.  I was able to spend Father's Day with my Dad which has not happened in years! The kids made an Ice Cream Cake with a golf club made out of Peanut M&M's for Terry and sent him on a scavenger hunt for his gift!  Even though the guys worked really hard, my Mom, Steph, Karli and I had a lot of fun not working so hard :)

This was before demolition.
Terry on his scavenger hunt!

It looks a little hot!
Still working on demolition....the guys the deck, Coop the tools.

Uncle Cody showing Coop how it's done.
Now framing the new one!

 Raelynn had a horse show of course Saturday morning and Coop had soccer at 10:30.  Coop is so happy to be back in soccer and loves it.  Mom and Aunt Karli said he did great!!!  Raelynn is doing incredible as well.  I had to chuckle when Aunt Bonnie asked Raelynn where she wanted to hold the hand that wasn't holding the reins.  There are 3 different positions that are acceptable.  With no hesitation Raelynn immediately responded, "which will give me the most points?"  It was the perfect thing to say and really gave me a glimpse of Raelynn's competitiveness which I love to see.  She walked away with a 1st, 2nd, two 3rds and a 5th.



Tonight Coop had Blastball again and then we went to CiCi's with his friend Chase and their family.  We had a great time and it was sooooo cute to see Coop interact with his buddy!  I hope to have my camera this weekend to catch some pics of Coop at soccer and blast ball.  He is loving his summer sports!

0 comments: