CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

ALL SETTLED IN......

Wow these days are long and emotional but we are now on the 4th Floor and all snuggled in for the night.  Coop's surgery went very well.  The conduit/valve is not holding up as well as they had hoped.  Our cardiologist, Dr. Kaine, did call our Cardiac Surgeon, Dr. O'Brien, down during the procedure.  Fortunately they both agreed to do what they could with the conduit that is there and when they can't work with it anymore than we will have to look at other options.  Today they did put a stint in the conduit to open it up.  The pressures in the right atrium were pretty significant and after the stint was put in place there was a significant drop in pressure which is exactly what they wanted.  We actually were given internal pictures to bring home this time which was pretty cool since Terry and I have been at this long enough we kind of know what we are looking at :).  So all in all they have him fixed up pretty well for now but of course over the years there will be more to come.   The really encouraging word is that they are making huge advancements in what they can do through the cardiac catheter.  Even what we did today they would not have been able to do by catheter a few years ago on someone as small as Coop.  Dr. Kaine said that Coop will definitely benefit by medical advancements on congenital heart defects in his life time.  That is exactly why we always give permission to use Coop in research studies and participate whenever asked.  The advancements are amazing.

We were reunited with Coop this afternoon.  I was a little concerned when I saw him because he was VERY pale in color.  He is always very passive and almost confused as he comes off the anesthetics but he drank and ate right away.  He just took his first steps a little bit ago and did a great job.  He has already had his Echo to make sure everything is looking good and will have a chest x-ray in the morning.  After that has all been reviewed we will be dismissed which is music to our ears.  They have him on antibiotics now because of the stint that was put in place and he will be on aspirin for the next 4-6 weeks.  We are also reminded how sensitive Coop's skin is.  Terry and I often talk to our medical team about how easy he bruises but today just reinforced his sensitivity.  In one small place on his back shoulder where they had a line in that was just precautionary and never used, he is bruised and his skin is tore from the tape.  On both his heals, in the few hours of surgery he developed bed sores.  The skin on his eyes is red, chapped and irritated and when we asked the cause of this we were told they tape his eyes shut during surgery and once again the irritation is probably the tape.  Now we have been through 3 surgeries, multiple catheters and several other procedures yet never do I remember knowing they tape his eyes shut!  However, I think I can understand why they did not volunteer this information.  So as I sit thinking about Coop's day I think about what the surgical room is like and realize it is a really good thing they do not let parents back there.  From what we have been told over the past 5 years about the surgical room.......the temperature is dropped significantly to preserve the organs, lower the blood flow, and slow the body functions.  He lies on a metal table with no clothing.  He has a breathing tube, multiple IV's, numerous monitors and a bunch of strangers completely covered other than their eyes and nose standing above him.  Today we add to the list, eyes taped closed.  I do not know why I paint this picture for myself but I do after every surgery, after every small detail that is disclosed to us.  And after I think about how cold and alone he has to feel, I am reminded he is not alone at all but rather holding God's hand the whole time.  It really is comforting.  The nurses have been in several times tonight to look at Coop's sores and are all amazed that it happened all in a day.  They also have confirmed a couple times that his low Heart Rate is normal for him.  I am so glad I am here to make sure that he is well taken care of and makes me sad for the kids that are left alone.



My bed moves up and down!!



Raelynn loves the hospital food!

Tonight Coop missed his Christmas Sing at his preschool.  While I was updating this blog I received a text with a picture of his class blowing him kisses with the caption, "Kisses to Cooper!"  And as if that wasn't sweet enough, a little later I received a video from his school.  At the Christmas Sing ALL the children on stage said Hi to Cooper and then sang to him, "Be Strong, Be Courageous, Do not be afraid , God is with you where ever you go!"  I played the video for Cooper and for the first time I think he felt the love people have for him.  He smiled the whole time but his eyes swelled with tears.  I didn't know whether to let him have his moment or ask him if he was ok.  Instead I smiled at him and reminded him how special he was.  He hugged me and berried his face in my lap.  I knew exactly how he felt, overwhelmed with love, as I have felt the same way all day!

2 comments:

Carolyn Martin, friend of the Dukes said...

Mrs. Keefer,
So happy Coop is doing well. He is such a trooper. My husband and I both have sensitivity to tape, we always request paper or cloth tape. If they use any other type, our skin just peels off. If we don't get the request done in time, Neosporin helps heal the sores the tape leaves.
I wish you all a Blessed Christmas.

Stefenie said...

Oh wow I had no idea that Coop was having a procedure done. Will have to go back and read your blog to catch up. So glad to hear that he is doing well though. Keeping him in my prayers!