CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

NO LONGER NEEDED BUT STILL LOVED........

We have spent 5 years loving and nurturing Cooper.  We have spent 5 years praying that he will survive.  We have spent 5 years spending every second of every day cherishing everything he throws our way.  Now, in just 5 days Cooper has became independent, self sufficient and in complete control!!!  I think we may have done our job too well!  As most of you know Coop started Kindergarten last Thursday.  It was like an introduction day and some of the Kindergartners went on Thursday and others on Friday.  So this week is really their first week of school.  On Monday morning we started our new school year routine and both Raelynn and Cooper did fantastic.  They were even ready early!!!  We headed to school at 7:20am as we will every day.  I volunteer at the school and read to the K-3rd Grade in the gym before school starts at 7:50am.  The first week of school is always crazy because the Kindergartners are just learning the ropes.  This year there are sooooo many of them, 5 classes to be exact.  I expected things to be hectic and I was not disappointed.  Of course, because Coop had been with us in the gym in the years past from time to time he knew how things worked.  When I called for Kindergarten to line up he did just as he should.  Coop also knew where his classroom was and who his teacher is which again is mostly because he has been around the school.  Anyway, when I dismissed everyone I had a handful of kids that had no idea who their teacher was let alone where the room was.  by 8:10am I had finally delivered the last of them to their proper destination.  I then went to Raelynn's classroom and told her goodbye and gave her a hug and kiss because with all the chaos I had not been able to tell either of the kids goodbye when they left the gym.  Raelynn would probably have a breakdown if I failed to tell her goodbye.  She needs that hug and positive encouragement to start her day and always has.  She is a little timid at times but yet still confident but can be cautious in new situations.  Anyway, I left her smiling and headed down to tell Coop goodbye.  He came to the door of his classroom and I hugged and kissed him just as I did Raelynn.  He said, "Mom, you don't have to do that!"  I told him I didn't get to tell him goodbye and I just wanted to make sure he was starting his day off right.  He said, "There's no need to say goodbye Mom, I'll see you after school."  He patted my back as I knelt next to him and turned and walked back to his class.  I am pretty sure I did not move at all for a few seconds.  When, exactly when, did my frail sweet baby turn into this confident mature little boy?!  I got up and left knowing that he was never going to need me emotionally as much as Raelynn does.  I was a little sad but I was very proud.  He is a strong kid and I have never questioned that, I just never saw it in this light.

So Monday night came and I couldn't wait to pick the kids up.  They both once again had a wonderful day!!!  It was amazing to listen to them both talk throughout the evening about their day, school and their friends.  It was like they connected in a way they never had before even though they are super close.  It was really quite a day of observation and awe for me as I watched them both!  It is amazing what we can learn from our kids if we just take time to observe them.  I am so happy God gave us a reason to open our eyes and ears to them!!!

Tonight we had a calm night with a little snuggling.  Coop is tired.  I could tell tonight the long days, early mornings and no mid afternoon rest was going to be hard on him until he gets used to it but he is so easy even when he is exhausted.  I just reminded him that no matter how tired he was wining is never ok.  He said he knows sometimes his voice just does that.  He was so cute and I tucked him in a little earlier tonight.  Just as much as I can tell the long days are wearing on him, I can tell Raelynn is a year older.  In the past the days have been long for her and she can be a little difficult but she too has matured and seems to get things done without constant direction.  It is just so amazing to see them grow from stage to stage.  I don't think I will EVER get tired of watching them develop!  I love being a Mom, a friend, a cheerleader, a support system, a counselor and any other role I will need to play in my children's lives.  I have the best job ever!!!

0 comments: