CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS!!!

Well Cooper made it through his first surgery perfectly. He is now in the PICU recovering. When we first were able to see him it was very hard. He is breathing by a ventilator and has many IVs and tubes in him. His chest is still open and though covered by tape and gauze, you can see his small heart beating. It is very difficult to see your baby laying there lifeless but the doctors and nurses all say he looks great. He will be kept asleep for a day or so. Once they are sure there will not be any swelling they will close his chest which could happen as early as tomorrow. I chose to stay at the hospital with him tonight so thanks to Tom letting me borrow his laptop I have been trying to keep myself busy other than just standing and staring at Cooper. Things seem to be going well. However, earlier when I touched his small foot, he moved. The nurse first said it was just a reflex but then discovered the medicine that was keeping him asleep was leaking and therefore he was not getting it all which resulted in him starting to come to. They corrected the problem right away. It was a little scary. They have also had to increase his liquids but again he seems to be doing great.

Terry went home to be with Raelynn and I called her about 8 pm and she seemed to be doing just fine. I miss her though!!! I cannot wait until I can sit comfortably in my own home and be with both of my children at the same time. It sounds so simple but to hold them both is all I could ever ask for. We have met some amazingly strong people here and realize that our situation could always be worse but I can definitely say this has been the most emotional and stressful thing I have ever been through. I just continue to think how fortunate we are though. I have 2 beautiful kids who, by the way, look exactly alike, and an incredible husband! That itself is something to be very thankful for but then we have amazing family and friends who have been there every step of the way. I do not know how we got so lucky!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear things went well. Stay strong Kristi! You are amazing! I can't wait to meet little Cooper. Thank you for taking the time to update this blog. I know Kylie and I have been checking it often for updates.

Thinking of Cooper, You, Uncle Terry and Miss Raelynn.
Niece Cassie

Moms said...

I am so happy to hear that the sugery went well. He is such a strong little one. I can't wait for you guys to be able to bring him home!!

We are pulling for you Cooper!!

Luv,
Niece Kylie

Anonymous said...

Didn't know that you could comment, this is great. I've been checking your blog at least twice a day to make sure I don't miss anything. Must say I was a little worried yesterday seemed like the day drug on forever, but I guess you know that better than anyone. So glad to hear all is going well. Love you and thinking of all of you.
Vicky & John

JoAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoAnn said...

Kristi and Terry
Glad to hear Cooper is doing well.
There may come a time when you feel that your plate is overloaded but just remeber the good lord does not give us more than we can handle.
Your in our heart and prays
cousin JoAnn

Michelle Eddy said...

I am happy to hear all went well with Cooper's surgery. For such a little guy he is already showing such strength and character! Must be from having equally strong parents...can't wait until you can bring him home and reunite your family.

Cousin Michelle