CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 27, 2008

SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED.......

There has been so much that has happened since my last post so we will take it day by day through the good and the not so good. Monday morning I headed to work and got a call from Mom. There was possible high winds, sleet and ice turning to snow moving in to Scott City area Tuesday. Therefore, our plans to leave Tuesday after work did not look so promising. We started making arrangements to leave Monday night or Tuesday morning. As always Tom was great and let me leave a day early. Terry hustled around and got two days work done in one. There was no way we could be ready Monday night but Tuesday morning we hit the road a little before 6 am. The trip down went fairly well. The kids are not big fans of their car seats, especially Cooper so we got to experience his tears and anger for the majority of the trip. Raelynn did not sleep on the trip and except for a small portion did very well. For the first time ever, we arrived in Scott City in the daylight. It was really nice to get there and actually have some time to talk and settle in. We usually get there in the middle of the night so everyone is eager to get to bed. We drove in a little rain but the weather did not turn bad until late evening. They had blowing snow, it was not bad, but would have not been the best to drive in. Later in the day we received a call from my Aunt that my Grandma was in the hospital and they would not be here for Christmas. Grandma had suffered from several strokes and she had not been well for years. Aunt Barbara has cared for her and made so many sacrifices to do so. They thought she may have pneumonia but she was doing fine and was responsive but would probably be in the hospital until Friday. We were very disappointed because we have not seen them for a very long time.

Wednesday we spent the day getting ready for our Christmas Eve Bash. We had a great time. We went to Christmas Eve Service at six. It was a really nice service as always. As we stood at the front of the church while we gathered in a circle with lighted candles and singing Silent Night, Cooper decides to put on a show. I guess he is so use to being the center of attention, he thought everyone was looking at him. He started raising his arms and acting as though he was bowing and worshiping which was quite appropriate but also quite comical. The more we laughed the prouder he was of himself. Cassidy and Chandler were part of a little performance at church as well and it was really good.

Sherri and the girls!

The Coopers

Grandma and Grandpa with the Grandkids!

The Cooper Girls!

The Keefer's

After church we headed home and started the eating. After we ate too much it was gift time. It was insane! I suppose you could say there are too many gifts but when are there ever too many gifts? We have so much fun and it is always so much fun watching everyone open what you got them. That is the best part. The kids got wonderful gifts as well as Terry and I. Cooper wasn't much into opening his gifts but loved what was inside. Raelynn was awesome. She loves opening gifts and is so thankful. The good news is she didn't even have to use her fake smile and thank you that we had practiced just in case she got a gift she didn't really like. Everything was so mush fun. We actually finished by 10pm this year and we had some time to play. Then it was off to bed so we wouldn't be to awake when Santa came.

A House Divided!

Cooper applauds his gift!

Yes! Raelynn got her WII!

Thank you Aunt Karli for my perfume!!!

Cutest present ever!
The next morning Santa spoiled us again! Cassidy and Chandler stayed at Grandma's too so we could all have Santa together.


After that we started preparing for a late dinner. Mom and Sherri cooked and the rest of us started a Gilmore Girls Marathon. Karli had gotten all 7 seasons! The marathon continued through Friday night!!! Dinner was fabulous as always!!! As we were finishing up the phone rang, it was Aunt Barbara. Grandma has passed away. My Grandpa had passed 4 years ago on Thanksgiving Day and now Grandma on Christmas. It was very sad although also a blessing. As I had said, Grandma had not been well and now for the first time she was herself again, in heaven with God. We had grown up with my Grandma and she was wonderful. She was a classic Grandma. She made everything homemade and I loved her very much. Years ago I had actually mourned her loss when she had lost her ability to care for herself. I will never forget it. I had come back for Christmas and there was my Grandma sitting in a wheelchair and hardly feeding herself. I cried through the whole dinner. It was a very difficult day for me. So now, although I am sad, I am also very happy that she is free and happy again. She was not "living" these past few years she was just here. Now it was time again to tell Raelynn that her Great Grandma had passed away, just two months after Nanni. She said very little and I expect there to be more after the funeral. In addition my Aunt Helene who had also been very ill passed away on Christmas Eve, this is my Grandma's Sister-In-Law. So that is how our Christmas ended.

The past 2 days have been filled with funeral planning and just trying to figure out how Terry and I can make it all work. The funeral is set for Tuesday with viewing Monday evening. Terry and I have cautiously decided to just stay here instead of driving back today and then returning Monday. The 5 1/2 hour trip is a long one. I still don't know that this was the best decision. I just feel like there are things that need to be dealt with there and missing more work is very hard for me. This year has been a very long and hard one. I am truly blessed to have the boss I have and respect him more than he will ever know. I always hope he knows that I never take his kindness for granted and will continue to work very hard for him. I have always thought that your work says a lot about who you are and therefore missing days here and there for Cooper and funerals, although unavoidable and unpredictable, are always difficult for me and the reason I never just take a day off for me. I am just thankful for my job and what it has given me. We will stay here until after the funeral on Tuesday and then head back.

Friday my other Grandma on my Mom's side, my Aunt Linda, Uncle Bob, Uncle Wayne and Aunt Ann all stopped by to visit. My Grandma is 91 and looks fabulous. It was so great to see her. My Aunt Linda was crazy as ever and always makes us laugh. As Terry says, Uncle Bob has to be just as crazy to live with her. :) They are so much fun. Uncle Wayne and Aunt Ann were also well and it was such a nice visit. We do not get to see them very often and none of them had met Coop. Uncle Wayne and Aunt Ann had brought there granddaughter and she and Raelynn spent the afternoon playing. Grandma is now my last living Grandparent which just makes the visit even more special.

Great Grandma Branine and Cooper

Great Grandma Branine and Raelynn

Great Aunt Linda and Cooper

Great Grandma Branine and Cooper

6 comments:

The Wiley Clan said...

Kristi,

We're so sorry to hear of your loss! We're holding you and your family close in our hearts and prayers!

Jana, Isaac and Emma

nikki wood said...

I'm so sorry about your grandma :( I'm actually waiting on a call from my mom in CA telling me how my grandma is after being rushed to the hospital today. You are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
We are so sorry to hear about your grandma! We are all thinking about you and praying for you. Let me know if I can help you out in anyway!
The Cooks

miles3_17 said...

Kristi,
I'm sooo sorry about your loss, I know you guys are strong and will get through all of this, but nevertheless, it's hard. Hang in there, if we can do anything let me know. Take care!

Huber Family said...

Cute, cute, cute pictures! I'm so glad you all got to do some celebrating. Keep up the positive spirit knowing your relatives are now free from pain and are experiencing the joy of Heaven. Blessings to you and your family.
The Hubers

Moms said...

So sorry to hear about your losses. You are in our thoughts.

The Smittys

p.s. totally jealous of that wii!!