CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

WHERE HAS THE WEEK GONE....

This week has been so busy but I think I always say that now. Tuesday night we went to the KU vs. Emporia State game. In the past we have always made sure Raelynn makes it to at least one game each season and it is usually easier to get tickets to preseason games than any other time. We had to introduce Cooper to our little tradition this year. The kids loved it. We had so much fun. At one point when Emporia State had the ball and KU was headed down the court on defense Raelynn stood up and yelled "DEFENSE HAWKS! DEFENSE! Of course it had to be at a time when it was fairly quiet. Our entire section turned around to look at her with big smiles. The girl gets into her games! It was so cute. It was equally as cute to watch Cooper enjoy the atmosphere. Every time the band would play he would start bobbing his head to the beat. When the crowd clapped, Cooper clapped too. He was all smiles. We had a terrific time. I really cannot tell you how much I love doing things with Terry and the kids. They are all just so cute and watching them enjoy events is priceless.

Wednesday night the kids stayed with Kelly while Terry and I headed to Overland Park to pick out the pictures we wanted from our Sunday visit to Flash Portraits at Oak Park Mall. This place does an amazing job. We have been going there since Raelynn was born. This time was kind of special because it had been the first time we had really been able to have professional pictures of Cooper. We did his one year photos and then had a family picture taken since we had not done that either since Coop was born. The pictures turned out great and it took us 2 hours to finally decide what we wanted. The have a great set up there and are so much help. Feel free to check out our pictures at www.flashportraits.com. Select My Portraits from the list on the right and then select Go To My Portraits, type in Keefer and there they are.

The kids seem to be changing daily right now, not so much in looks but in personality. Raelynn is so "grown up" and I know I could write a best seller just on the daily conversations I have with her. She is so smart yet so innocent. She is always respectful but yet in my opinion getting a little mouthy in her tone. We discuss respect and how to treat each other with love and how family is special and on and on but I am feeling like we are beginning to mold her and discipline her into the adult she will become. Quite honestly it scares me to death. I pray every day that we are teaching her well and giving her a good foundation to build a wonderful life on. I know it sounds like I am exaggerating but Raelynn is 3 but seems to know and understand so much. We talk to her directly about things and give her the facts and leave her out of very little in our conversations. I think this has helped her learn to communicate. Then there is Cooper. He smiles all the time and is all over the place. He is not walking yet but as long as he can get his hands on anything he cruises right around. He still does not crawl but he scoots and that gets him where walking can't yet. He is quick too! Raelynn and he are starting to play a lot. I could sit and watch and listen to them play all day long. They are precious!

Dr. Kelley called today to let us know Cooper was approved for Synagis, yeah! Synagis is a vaccine given to prevent RSV. It is a very expensive shot and has to be preapproved by your health insurance. The process is difficult but we had been through it with Raelynn too because she was a preemie. Anyway, our doctors office is awesome and they do all the work. It was necessary that Cooper be approved and our cardiologist had even said if we weren't we would still need to consider doing the shot. The shots are given monthly during RSV season which can vary but usually starts in October or November and lasts through April or March. The shots are based on weight but easily can exceed $1000 per shot. This is the first time that Cooper being small is not so disappointing :) He also reviewed the MRI with me. He too said there was nothing to worry about and confirmed my understanding of everything. He said if he had to say something bad about it, he would mention that the Germinal Matrix does put Cooper at a higher risk of seizures. But even if that does happen, people with seizures are normal functioning adults and most you do not even know suffer from seizures. So basically we will remember the MRI findings but will not worry about them. I do plan to ask what we should do in the event of a seizure so that we are prepared but I will leave it at that and there will not be any further imaging done at this time.

Last night I received an email from a woman who had just found out her son has DORV (Double Outlet Right Ventricle) too. She had just found out yesterday and wanted any advice or information I could give her. I cried as I read her email remembering what it was like when we first found out and the hard and difficult road they have ahead of them. I emailed her back and I have no idea if I said anything of relevance because my mind was racing. I almost wish I would have simply said, "You are in for one amazing journey both awful and wonderful. Hold onto one another and always look for the light at the end of the tunnel because it is there, but the tunnels are long and many." I will never be able to explain how this experience has changed me but I can promise that although I would never wish this for us or anyone else, the good that has come out of it will always remind me that God has a plan. I wish this family the very best and hope that if I can help in any way she will again contact me.

0 comments: