CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP.......

Generally I would say how wonderful my Mom is to do all she does for us.  She drops everything, puts her life on hold and rushes down every time Coop has surgery and it is so helpful and I appreciate it so much.  However, if she ever comes down again and makes 2 Meringue Pies (one being my favorite, Coconut Cream), fills our candy basket full (and it's a big basket) and runs me out of baggies from dividing up Rice Krispie Treats, I think I will have to rethink my appreciation!  I am pretty sure I have gained a good 5 lbs since she was here!!!  Seriously, it was the best Coconut Cream Pie I have ever had, notice I say "it was".

Things are going well.  Coop has been taking it easy, the best he knows how anyway, and tonight his incision looked great.  It has sealed on one end but the other is still bleeding slightly.  He asked if he could go to soccer practice tomorrow and I told him he would have to protect the incision area and not get kicked or let a ball hit it.  Remember his incision is in his groin area and his reply to me, "I always protect my penis and it's right beside it so I think we are good."  I guess I should take comfort in that but it still made me chuckle.  His next question was if he could play soccer at recess.  I asked him if recess soccer was any rougher than real soccer.  He said if they played teams it was the same but if they didn't play teams it was rougher.  I told him then if they play teams he can play but if they don't he can't play.  He said, "I think they'll play teams.  I'll tell Ben to tell them to play teams.  He hasn't played soccer since my surgery either so he'll help me."  After further questioning I found out that his buddy, Ben, has been playing other things at recess with Coop since Coop wasn't allowed to play soccer.  This is a pretty big deal because these boys ALWAYS play soccer.  It was so sweet. I told Coop how nice I thought that was and he simply said, "Yep, Ben's super nice." I love that he is surrounding himself with such great kids!!!

Tonight after Coop and I read a story and we snuggled we said his prayers like we always do.  Every since the kids were itsy bitsy I had made up a prayer that we always said so that they could learn to pray.  It is a well rounded prayer and is easy for them to understand but it is a little long.  When we were finished Coop said, "I'm trying to learn all the words exactly like you say them so I can say it with my kids. I wonder if I will have 2 boys or 2 girls or a girl and a boy."  I said,  "Maybe you'll have 4 kids."  Coop looked so confused and said "Well I guess I don't know but that'll be awhile so I will decide about it then."  He is going to be such a wonderful husband and father one day but I don't think he could ever be better than he is right now as our son.  I so love that boy!

After I left Coop and went in for my goodnight with Raelynn, she was informing me that the Farmers Almanac was predicting a cold long winter and we should consider Florida for the winter.  Yep, there is not doubt she is my mini me!  And although tonight was wonderful, she is going to give me a run for my money.  The past week she has been exhausted which leads to unfavorable behavior.  I constantly try to figure out the best way to address her when she seems unreasonable and sometimes I know that our conflicts are because we both want things done our way and there is no doubt I am hard on Raelynn.  I always have been but I am also fair.  In the long run everything has always worked out just as it should but as she gets older it gets a little harder to be one step ahead of her.  It gets harder for me to always remain calm and give her logical and honest reasons for the decisions I make for her.  Sometimes it would be so much easier to say "because I said so" but that is something I refuse to say.  I always feel like if I can't give her a reason, then I must not have one and I need to look closer at why I am making the decision or asking her to do what I am.  I have been known to tell her " I really don't know why but it is what I feel is right and unless you can make me feel different I am going with it."  But as she gets older the decision get bigger, the discussions get longer and reasons get harder.  Regardless, I find the daily challenges make me a better parent one by one but every day I just hope I doing it right.  I told Raelynn tonight that in most jobs employers give their employees annual evaluations but since being a parent is the most important job I have ever had, I think we should implement bi-annual evaluations.  This would be a time that she and Cooper could tell me how they think I am doing.  They could express what they like and what they don't like about my parenting.  They could make reasonable recommendations to me and it would just give me an idea of how they look at our family.  Raelynn thought this was a good idea so I guess my evaluations will be in October and April each year.....wish me luck!

Tonight we had one of our favorite visitors, Mary Beth!  We all miss her so much and she truly is one of the nicest and most loving people I have ever met.  I love all the Karlin's and Grandma Karen.  I owe them so much for taking such wonderful care of the kids for so many years.  They are honestly one of the brightest and most wonderful parts of the kids early years.  When it was time for Mary Beth to go, my kids weren't quite ready to let her go.....


I hope everyday she knows how much love we all have for her!!!!

0 comments: