CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

THINGS ARE LOOKING UP...........

So the reports on Mom are sounding so much better.  They started her central line yesterday and she has had 24 hours of nutrients which she says is already making her stronger.  Her temperature rose slightly today and they are having to regulate her insulin but everything else has improved and continues to.  Her white blood cell count is back down to normal finally and she sounds so much better.  Just 3 more days until I can see how good she is doing for myself!  I dread that 6 hour trip but this time, more than others, it will be well worth it.  


We started back to school today and boy was it a stuggle to get back into a routine.  My kids rarely argue about what they are expected to do but this morning and tonight it was like we had to give them step by step instructions for thier morning and evening routines and no one was listening!  I truly thought my patience were in short supply!  Then tonight as we put the kids to bed they both reminded me how wonderful this parenting thing really is.  I finished reading Raelynn a story and just as we shut out the light and laid down to snuggle, Raelynn asks, "Mom what are your views on gun control?"  I couldn't help but crack up.  I asked her if she even knew what her questions meant.  To my surprise she responded, "yea, I'm asking you if you think everybody should be able to carry a gun if they register or if you think we shouldn't be allowed to."  I immediately stopped laughing and said, "Oh, well I guess you do....." and went on to give her my take on it.  We literally laid there and had this very political conversation.  She explained they were studying government in school right now and then went on to discuss some things about the Constitution.  After a few seconds of silence she said, "Mom, you want to know what I think?"  Of course I was curious so I asked her what.  She told me that she thought once a month your home should be searched by cops.  They should search it thoroughly but not mess anything up.  They should be looking for illegal drugs, bad internets sites or anything else that would be bad for a family.  If they had guns they should check that they were not loaded and were locked up like they should be.  She went on and on about what they would check for and how polite they would be.  She ended by saying, "Mom, I don't think this is a violation of our constitutional rights but a safety issue. We have a right to privacy but we have a right to make sure everyone is safe too."  Literally I was almost speechless.  Raelynn has ALWAYS loved politics and seems to absorb everything she hears but just listening to her made me proud and scared all at the same time.  I told her I was proud of her reasoning and justification for her thoughts but that I thought there would be many people that would disagree with her in regards to home searches not infringing on our right to privacy.  She immediately looked at me and shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well they don't all have to agree with me, just the majority and by the time I get done talking they will agree!"  I gave her a huge hug and in laughter told her I was certain she had a future in politics!!!!!  The scary thing is she seemed to understand.  She said she would start small and see if Mrs. Bailey would let the class write letters to the Mayor of Lawrence suggesting things he could do to better our community.  She said, "my class might have some ideas he hasn't thought of."  I hope somehow she bottles her enthusiams and bravery and never lets anyone destroy either.

I left Raelynn's room and went to Coop's to tell him goodnight.  As I lay next to him he sat up and said, "Mom, how old do I have to be to get my driver's license because I plan to buy a Monster Truck when I am 13."  I let him know he would have to be at least 16.  He said, "Hmmm?, Ok, well I guess I will just have more money so maybe I can buy a Monster Truck and a Motorcycle when I get my driverr's license."  I told him I would not let him buy a motorcycle.  He told me he would wear a helmet.  I told him that was fantastic so that when he crashes and his body is splattered everywhere at least I will still be able to see his cute little head.  (I know a little graphic but I was trying to make a point) Coop grinned and said, "Ok, I won't buy a motorcycle but I am going to have a really big Electric Scooter!"  I guess that is the compromise I will accept for now.  I love my kids big dreams and simple ideas.  There are days I wish I could have a little piece of their innoence.  









0 comments: