CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

CANCER ACCORDING TO A 5 YEAR OLD............

Sunday we were eating dinner and talking about our day and the week to come.  Terry had went to a visitation for a friend's father that had passed earlier in the day.  We were talking about it and Raelynn asked if he was old.  Terry said he was and our conversation went on to recognize those in our family that had passed away.  Raelynn then says, "Aunt Sherri will die before you because she is older."  I said, "yes maybe but anyone can die anytime regardless how old they are.  People die from accidents and diseases and lots of things."  "Like Cancer." Raelynn replies.  "Yes, like cancer." I confirm.  Then my 5 year old explains, "Well you know our bodies are like a flower garden with lots of flowers and the cancer is like weeds.  Weeds are really hard to get rid of and sometimes the weeds take over the pretty flower garden."  In complete awe Terry and I just look at each other and then at her.  "That is a perfect analogy Raelynn."  To which she replies, "yea I saw it on Arthur, it helps kids understand things a little better."  As Terry said, I think Arthur could help some adults understand things a little better too.  Anyway, yesterday when I picked her up from school she asks if I remember Marty's Dad, a friend of ours who had died from cancer.  "Of course I remember him" I replied.  "Well do you think Marty has watched Arthur and knows about the flower garden?"  "I don't know Raelynn but I am sure that he understands his Dad had cancer."  "I know he is bigger so he knows about that stuff but he needs to know his Dad was a beautiful flower garden and it was just the weeds he couldn't help it."  I told her I thought he knew but part of me almost wanted to let her tell him on the slim chance that he did blame his Dad just a little for leaving.  Once again her perspective on things amazes me.  I continue to learn from her and with her.

In addition to an enlightening conversation at dinner, we also discovered Coop loves meatloaf.  He just ate and ate and ate it.  Of course dipped in ketchup but he thought it was Yummy!  Terry said he thought we might be eating a lot more meatloaf and I think he is right!

Coop will go in for a weight check on Thursday, we are very anxious to see if he has gained but at this point I am not worried at all.  He is eating at Mary Beth's like crazy and here he eats well too other than he knows we have Puppy Cheetos (Puffy Cheetos) and would rather eat them then anything else.  Luckily we ran out tonight and I don't think they will be going on the shopping list anytime too soon!

0 comments: