CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 12, 2010

THE UPS AND DOWNS ONE DAY CAN HOLD......


Today was a day with so many ups and downs. This week we have been practicing for Raelynn's first day of school on Friday. We have to be at the school at 7:45 a.m. and we figured we better practice. It has went really well and Raelynn seems ready. Then there was today. We didn't get ready right on time but that was ok because we were just practicing. We have been talking all week about her "big" day and how exciting it was. We had identified some things we needed to adjust in our schedule and we were ready. Tomorrow morning would be our big day. So off to Mary Beth's we all went and the morning was going just fine. I took my lunch a little after 2pm and headed to the pharmacy to pick up Coop's meds and then run them home real quick. I ran in the house, put the medicine away and noticed we had a message. As I was walking out I hit the message to listen. It was Raelynn's new school wondering where Raelynn was for her first day of school today. What!!!! I instantly started to cry. Is it possible that I had screwed up their staggered schedule and instead of Raelynn's first day being tomorrow it was today? I dialed the school as fast as I could. I was already crying and I think they just took pity on me. Somehow I had in my calendar that the afternoon kindergarten went on Thursday and the morning Kindergarten went on Friday but instead it was the kids with last names A-L went today and M-Z go tomorrow. Anyway, the school was perfectly nice and are allowing me to take Raelynn tomorrow as I had planned. I bet I cried for a good hour and continue to feel like it every time I think about it. I cannot even tell you how perfect I try to parent and I just failed drastically. I was heart broken for my daughter. She missed her first day of school!!! Anyway, I did not tell her anything about it and as far as she is concerned tomorrow is still her first day of school. Which leads to another story of drama..... tonight I had a Cooper's Cause 5K meeting and then a conference call. I got home about 8:20 and Terry had the kids all ready for bed and they had a great evening. Raelynn and I headed to her bed for story time while Coop and Terry headed to Cooper's room for story time. I read Raelynn her story and tucked her in and then it happened......she began to cry. She quickly told me she missed her old school (preschool) and her old friends and was scared about her new school. She went on to tell me that we had to always live in our house because she would miss it too much if we moved. We layed on her bed and talked for about half an hour. I told her some of the exciting things that would happen at her new school and the opportunity she had to meet new friends. I reminded her that just because we go to a new place and meet new friends we don't forget about our old. I reminded her that our hearts were so big and we had room for as many old and new friends and places we meet and visit. I reminded her that part of growing up was also being brave and welcoming new experiences and that these experiences would just make us better people. I told her about when I went to college and how scared I was but how great it turned out to be because I eventually met Daddy and had her and Coop. She interjected from time to time and when I thought she would be ok and gave her one last kiss goodnight she says, "It will be a great day Mommy, because I will get to see you when you pick me up and take me to Mary Beth's!" Tears, again, came to my eyes but this time not because I felt like I had failed her but because she made me feel like I hadn't.

Besides the Kindergarten drama, Coop also had some excitement. As you know he does not eat but has been making a little progress. Tonight while I was at my meeting, Daddy treated the kids to Sonic. Cooper decided he would try a little sonic too. He actually took a few bites of apple, grilled cheese sandwich and drank some chocolate milk. Terry sent me this picture while I was at my meeting which could not have made me happier....

Wish us luck on our not really first, "First" Day of School!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck for sure and I know that your skills in being a parent are beyond abundant. I am very excited about Cooper's eating experiments. Raelynn will have so many stories for you tonight.

Mom

Nana Jan said...

It will be a "kindergarden" memory one that you will never forget and Raelynn will never know about. You're a wonderful mother and have a very busy schedule to juggle,so don't be too hard on yourself!