CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 31, 2008

THE RESULTS OF THE MRI.....

I received a call today from our cardiologist Dr. Kaine. When doing the MRI post ECMO the things they are looking for are signs of stroke or serious hemorrhaging that has caused damage to the brain. None of this was found. However, the professionals that read the MRI did determine that Cooper had Grade 1 Germinal Matrix. Let me start by simply giving you the text book definition:

Germinal matrix hemorrhage is a bleeding into the subependymal germinal matrix with or without subsequent rupture into the lateral ventricle. The microcirculation in this particular area is extremely sensitive to hypoxia and changes in perfusion pressure. It is most frequent before 35 weeks gestation and is typically seen in low birth-weight (<1500g) title="Premature birth" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_birth">premature infants.

The way I understand it from researching it is that it is bleeding in a small layer of fluid in the brain. It is most common in premature babies and babies with low birth weights. It is also found in cases where there is a change in the blood pressure or blood flow in the germinal matrix circulation which is probably what happened in Cooper's case with ECMO. So now what? Dr. Kaine presented it to me in this way. Cooper is fine. Dr. Kaine said with a chuckle, "sometimes these people reading these results feel like they have to find something so they do." He did not seem concerned. He said we know Cooper is developing well and there are no signs of neurological damage or seizures which are also common with more severe cases. He said that he would send the results to Dr. Kelley. He said to have Dr. Kelley call CMH Neurology and determine if any further imaging of the brain needs to be done. He reminded me that just as with the genetic testing, we are going hunting for things with Cooper. If we were to examine ourselves as closely as we are examining Cooper, we are bound to find irregularities as well. Terry and I are not overly concerned because we see how Cooper acts on a daily basis and we see no signs of brain damage. I cannot say that it is not on my mind, and I am definitely eager to talk to Dr. Kelley, but I am doing my best to not worry. The information I found while researching on the Internet is very complex and technical so it has left me with several questions. Once again I am sure Dr. Kelley will wish the Internet never existed but I will hopefully get more clarification once I talk with him. Dr. Kaine did a good job of explaining it, but to be honest the first time I hear any of the crazy stuff we have had with Cooper I only retain a portion of it and do not even know the questions to ask. I will find out more and keep you all posted. For now though, I will assume my baby is fine and continue to love every sloppy little open mouthed kiss he gives me, laugh at him dancing and hold my breath at every step he tries to take. Most of all, I will continue to hug him and thank God for getting us this far.

0 comments: