CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

ANSWERS TO CHROMOSOME 9...

So although the weekend started out a little shaky, Sunday and Monday were great. Sunday Raelynn and I headed to church and then ran a few errands like we do most Sundays. We really enjoy a little time together alone. Raelynn has just started going to her Sunday School class. In the past she insisted on sitting in church with me which was fine but I knew she would get much more out of her class. A few weeks ago she just decided she would go. Then Sunday we were walking in and she stopped and said she wasn't going in. I tried to figure out what was wrong and encouraged her that she would go. Suddenly she looked at me and said, "Mom I need some money". At first I made her repeat herself and when I confirmed that this is what she said I asked her why she needed money. She proceeds to tell me that last week they asked for money and she didn't have any. She was very bothered by this. I had totally forgotten about collection in Sunday School. Unfortunately I never have cash or change. She was so determined I told her I didn't have any cash but I could write a check, that is what I do for collection in church. She looked at me completely disgusted and said, "No, I'll ask Daddy for some next week, don't worry about it" and hopped down and walked into the room. I did not know whether to laugh or cry. My daughter is so beyond her years and at times I wonder whether her independence and intelligence will haunt us in years to come. But for now, all I can do is smile and continue to think she is unbelievable cute!



Sunday afternoon I cleaned the house and Monday we did nothing but play. It was great! Monday afternoon we headed to Bonnie's for more playing and lots of food. It was a good time! Raelynn loves it at Aunt Bonnie's. She loves seeing the horses and playing with her cousins. Cooper got to play with his cousin, Jackson, too. He is just 6 weeks younger than Cooper and so it is a good reality check for me on Cooper's development as well. Cooper and Jackson were sitting together playing. Jackson took the toy Cooper was playing with, please note it was Jackson's toy to begin with, Cooper reached over and grabbed Jackson's shirt and began shaking Jackson and yelling. I know I should have intervened right away and I did eventually but at first I couldn't help cracking up. There little Cooper, who I try to protect from everything, was being the bully! It was so funny to see this. Of course I will discipline my child and not let him grow up to be a bully but it was so good to see him so strong. Of course Emily laughed right alone with me. She already has 3 other boys so Cooper's little bullying was nothing to Emily or Jackson!
The kids also love to see Nanny and Popo. I think Nanny is going to spoil Cooper! She didn't like to hold him when he was so small and with all his issues but now she won't put him down. Terry and I love to see this.

It is so fun to watch the kids with our families, it is what makes families so great! Raelynn had a good time with Popo too. Both the kids are always trying to play with Popo beard. Cooper pulls it and Raelynn combs it. Of course Popo is very patient with both.





Today I received a call from the geneticist we are scheduled to see next Tuesday. Because all the paperwork I submitted and all the reports she had read on Cooper she thought we could answer some questions over the phone. We were meeting with them if you remember because there is an extra band of DNA on his Chromosome 9. They did not know if this was anything to be concerned about but had Terry and I tested as well. Guess what? I have the exact same extra band on my Chromosome 9. This is fantastic news because since I am "normal" they know that Cooper's heart condition is not due to this and therefore it is not a genetic disorder. The funny thing is, they do not know what the extra band is or what it does and they have no other documented cases of it. That doesn't mean no one has it because most people are never tested but Cooper and I do and my Mom or Dad do too and so does their Mom or Dad. Isn't that so cool. There is this extra band on our families chromosome 9 making us all have a very identifying feature in our DNA. I think it is amazing they can tell us these things. Since this was our only question and concern there was no need for us to meet with them. They said Cooper's heart defect was a very complicated and extensive defect. If it were genetic due to this Chromosome 9 there would be no way that I would not have had a defect as well. They said Cooper's heart defect was just one of those unfortunate things that happened very early in development that was no ones fault or that could have been avoided. I say it was God's gift to us and was not unfortunate at all. Of course, I would never wish this to happen but just look what has come out of it. Cooper is amazing and has taught us so much about so many things already! He is a special little boy and I don't believe any part of him was an unfortunate mishap. Things are happening just as they are suppose to be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the good news. I am so excited to see everyone this week. I just hope the weather holds out.
Cousin Cassie

Anonymous said...

All I can say you are one amazing family. Love you all.

Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Hurray for your "extra chromosone" girl!!! I bet this does make you and Terry feel so much better. It sounds like Cooper is starting to stand up for himself, way to go Coop. He's growing up so fast, I can't believe he's coming up on his first birthday real soon. Thanks for keeping us updated, I love your blog!!
jan

Anonymous said...

The 1st thing I thought when you said Cooper's Chromosome 9 was the same as yours was, "Oh no, does that mean he's going to grow up thinking he has to mop the kitchen floor every night!!", ha! ha! So glad to hear you got some good news and that you're actually finding some "down time" once in a while. :-) Hugs, Cathy