CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 23, 2008

ENTERING HOUR 53....

I have been here way to long as I am starting to use hospital terms. Hour 53 is the hour we were entering at shift change which is 7 to 8 every day. That means Coop has been in the PICU for 53 hours. He is doing fine however they are having a hard time keeping his blood count up and he looks pretty pail. This morning they discovered some blood pooling in the chest cavity between the heart and the lung. They took X-rays at 10am and decided that it wasn't getting worse so they decided not to perform a procedure to drain the access blood. They said that the fact that they are having a hard time keeping the blood count up usually means there is some bleeding somewhere and it could be this blood pooling in the chest cavity. The doctors have not rounded yet and although the nurses are discussing the issue they do not seem overly concerned. We will see how this progresses. Other than that he seems to be doing about the same. He is still a little stinker and occasionally will start to move around. It is as though he wants to get out of here. They will try to reposition him and he will move right back where he was. It makes us smile.

Jill came over this morning to visit. It was great to see her and catch up a little on life at Farmers. She made me laugh as usual and asked the nurses a million questions, it was great. I know Little Dumbo (as Jill likes to call Cooper) was happy to see her as well. Mom came over late morning and stayed with Cooper while I picked Raelynn up and we went home to do laundry and pack some more clothes. Sherri and Karli joined Mom around 2:30pm and Steph came with Raelynn and I. As always Raelynn made me laugh and smile all day. When I woke her up from her nap to head back to the hospital she said, "Mommy you're still here!" and gave me a big hug. I could hardly keep from crying. I reminded her I am always there for her we just have to share some time away right now for Cooper. She said she knew and then wanted to get to the hospital to see Coop. So we headed back and she visited him. As always the two of them just seem to connect. She gave him a kiss and whispered something. I didn't hear what and I asked her what she said and she told me she was talking to Baby Cooper. :) I cannot wait until I can watch them play together and love on each other again. I just keep thinking how incredibly wonderful the first night back home felt back in December. I remember putting both the kids to bed, Raelynn in her room and Cooper in his bassinet. I remember laying down in our bed and just thinking how absolutely perfect it was! We have only been here for 3 days and I find myself wondering how I will make it for several more days but I know I will and the reward will be worth every second we spend here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Keefer Family, I'm so sorry I haven't contacted you earlier, but I had no idea you were back in the hospital. John & I both tearfully read your blog and caught up on all you are going through and couldn't belive it all. I don't know what else to say except we will keep you in our thoughts and keep the prayers coming. I know your family is there with you now, but if you need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to call.
Vicky & John