CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

THURSDAY UPDATE.....

First I want to say thank you. Thank you to all the visitors, texts, calls, emails, blog comments, thoughts and prayers. I cannot tell you all how much difference it makes to hear the encouragement. Last night went as well as could be expected. They started giving Cooper some "beefed up" blood, meaning blood that had been enriched. Other than that they just continually took labs and monitored him. This morning Dr. O'Brien and Dr. Kaine (surgeon and cardiologist) were both in and basically told us it is just a waiting game. There is no magical number of days he will remain like this or any particular thing they look for to decide when to try to take him off the machines. It is all just time, time for his heart and lungs to recover. Dr. O'Brien is leaving for the weekend and won't be back until Tuesday so he thought they would wait until late Monday or Tuesday before they tried to take him off so that if it does not work and they would have to take him back into surgery he would be here. So that is the game plan. Today Cooper started to wake up about every 2 hours and they had to give him additional "sleepy" medicine and even eventually had to give him meds that paralyzed him. When it first started happening I freaked out because I was terrified that he was in pain. They assured me he may feel a little discomfort but no pain. Tonight they are finally starting to get him under control so that he is not waking. They have given him extra calcium and potassium. They also have began "feeding" him with lipids and other nutrients. They have had to give him quite a bit of blood and extra platelets. All in all though they have said he is doing good. But really what can he do wrong when machines are doing all the work!

Today in the little cubicle next to us there was another cardiac baby. He was also Dr. O'Brien's patient. All the sudden there was craziness over there and they came over and shut our glass door but I could still see. Several people went in and then the Mom screamed with cries and one by one people came out. Her baby died. There was this big lump in my throat and I just couldn't quit watching. I kept asking my nurse what happens next and so they told me. They let the Mother stay there with her baby as long as she likes. The clean him/her up the best they can and they disconnect all IVs and whatever else their may be. Then they even let them give the baby a bath and dress him/her. I couldn't imagine....I don't want to imagine! I just wanted to hug the Mom but of course I stayed put. Then Dr. O'Brien walked out. Our eyes met and you could just see his sadness. He looked at me for a long time and then gave me a soft smile as if to say he wished I had not just seen that. I can't seem to get it out of my head! I just keep thinking how quick it all happened. I don't know what exactly was wrong with him and have not asked, I don't want to know! However, I do know he was a cardiac patient and that alone terrifies me.

Today went by really fast!!! My family came up last night and got to Sherri's around 10 pm. They came over to the hospital this morning and it was soooooooooooooo good to see them. The best part is they brought Raelynn! She gave me the biggest and tightest hug ever and I knew it was going to be a better day. We just couldn't quit hugging each other. I have missed her even more than I realized. So for a big part of the day Mom and the girls were here to keep us company. Then Lisa came to visit and it was a great surprise. Raelynn was super happy to see her and I know Cooper knew she was here too. Late afternoon they all left and my friend Amy came. We caught up on each others lives while we stood by Cooper keeping him company. We ate dinner together and now I finally am sitting down long enough to update the blog. It was really a good day and great seeing everyone! So now it has quieted down and I have caught up on the daily nurse gossip :) We really have been here too much that we are in on the gossip! We will keep things basically the same tonight and tomorrow. As always please continue to pray for a little fighter but tonight please also pray for the Mom whose little fighter gave up the fight today.

8 comments:

Tatum Eck said...

There is not an hour that passes that you are not in my thoughts!! Donovan all day has been talking about Raelynn and Cooper. We will for sure keep you all in our prayers. Kristi you are one of the strongest people I have ever met, I know Cooper has fight in him just like his Mommy!! Please give Raelynn a hug for us and I am glad she is back with you!:o)

Tatum

The Wiley Clan said...

Thanks for sharing your intimate thoughts with us all--I know it can't be easy, but I've always believed that writing is a great form of therapy! We're glad to hear that Cooper is getting his rest! I'm SO glad that your family and in particular, Raelynn, are by your side! You have a wonderfully supportive family!

I'm so proud of you and Terry--you're such wonderful parents! Even though Coop is sleeping, the love and support your words and presence provide him with makes a world of difference!

We're here for you guys! I would love to come visit and give you guys BIG hugs, but don't want to be intrusive. Just please know that you're all in our hearts and prayers and that if you need ANYTHING, please to let us know.

Love you guys!
Jana, Isaac & Emma

miles3_17 said...

Wow, I cant even imagine what you are going through. Know that, like everyone else, we are thinking of you all daily. I am crying reading each of your blogs, but smiled big time when I read your hugs from Raelynn made the day!!! We are leaving this weekend, but when we get back on sunday, again...let us know if there's something we can do. Kaden and I say a little prayer every night for Coop and we know he'll get through this. Stay strong and keep your head up. Please call if you need to cry, if you need something, or to just gossip. We'll talk to you soon. Hang in there!!

Kelly, Brett and Kaden

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating this blog. I check it daily and am thankful for your candidness. You and Uncle Terry are amazing people and parents. Hang in there. My thoughts are with all of you.
Cassie

Shelly said...

Kristi, I just wanted to drop a note and let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Ever since I've heard about what was going on, I've been praying for Cooper. Cooper is a strong little guy and he has a wonderful family to stand beside him through all of this. Hang in there and try to keep your head up. Shelly Howard

Anonymous said...

Sending continuted love from Wisconsin!!!

Mary (Jill's mom)

Anonymous said...

To my little Dumbo,
It was so nice to see you! You look amazing and I so happy ur doing better. Can't wait for you to get healthier and come play with my at work :) You keep those nurses on their toes, and show them who is boss! I cant wait until you get older and your mommy tells you how stubborn you are!! Love you very much!

Kristi, Terry and Raelynn,
It was so nice to see you guys! I left the hospital with such a smile on my face bc everything is working out...how amazing. Remember, in the end things will be okay, if they arent okay...then its not the end! Keep your smiles and hopes up, cause that little stinker is once again proving he is your little fighter :)

Love you all and Miss you all!!

Jill

Anonymous said...

To my little Dumbo,
It was so nice to see you! You look amazing and I so happy ur doing better. Can't wait for you to get healthier and come play with my at work :) You keep those nurses on their toes, and show them who is boss! I cant wait until you get older and your mommy tells you how stubborn you are!! Love you very much!

Kristi, Terry and Raelynn,
It was so nice to see you guys! I left the hospital with such a smile on my face bc everything is working out...how amazing. Remember, in the end things will be okay, if they arent okay...then its not the end! Keep your smiles and hopes up, cause that little stinker is once again proving he is your little fighter :)

Love you all and Miss you all!!

Jill