CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

HOSPITAL TIME

Finally I have made it to a computer. As most of you know we came in for Cooper's cardiac catheter on Monday. The procedure went well and they did find that Cooper had blockage in the shunt as we suspected. This meant that surgery would be in the next month or so. After we viewed the film with the cardiologist we went to the waiting room to wait for Coop. This is usually about a 30 minute wait but we waited and waited and waited. Finally we were able to see him. His O2 level was not staying up where it should so he was still on Oxygen. We expected to spend the night and then Tuesday morning be out by noon. Unfortunately Tuesday came about and things did not go as planned. Coop's O2 level was dropping dangerously low into the 20's and 30's. They had him on 2 different means of Oxygen and still every time he became the least bit active or fussy the O2 level plummeted. We saw the cardiologist often throughout Tuesday along with several others. We were informed Tuesday that we would not be returning home and they would schedule surgery for early next week. They had to wait on surgery because Cooper had been on aspirin and they have to be off he aspirin a minimum of 6 days before it is safe for the surgery. Anyway several scary things happened Tuesday from Cooper turning purple at times to the nurses rushing in because his levels dropped so much and he and I were just playing on the bed. It was very stressful. The crazy thing of it all is that Coop does not seemed bothered by any of this and that the doctors cannot explain. As low as his O2 was dropping he should be irritable or lifeless and lethargic but some of the time they were dropping dangerously low he was giggling and playing with me. We made it through Tuesday and then Tuesday night things began to improve and today he has been great. Our cardiologist was in and said Cooper has always done things his own way and on his on time so he did not think we should expect anything different this time. He said he has no explanation for his SATS but wanted to continue to monitor him today and tonight and then would talk to us in the morning. He said we would take things one day at a time. So here we are waiting for the next update.

How are we all doing? Cooper is great. He is getting all of Mom's attention and there is a lot of it because Mom has nothing else to do and is bored out of her mind. He is eating well and continuing to gain weight. Raelynn is being a trooper and is precious as ever. She is now at Aunt Sherri's where she will stay until Saturday when they will travel to Scott City and then she will stay with Grandma until Thursday or so of next week when they all come down. The things she has said and done that have made our hearts laugh or melt are numerous. She is truly a wonderful child and loves her brother very much and Mommy is missing her sooooooo much! Lisa helped out tremendously the last few days and we are all very thankful for her. Terry is getting very tired and finding out how crazy it is to try to make sure everyone is where they need to be on time and to run errands and work all at the same time. He comes up to the hospital in the evening after work and after picking up Raelynn and then heads home with Raelynn to get her to bed just in time to start the day all over again. He is basically running everywhere but I greatly appreciate the few hours of conversation and company he has given us in the evenings. Me, well I am much better today. Yesterday was rough. Not only the many emotions of dealing with Cooper but to find out that I was going to miss Steph's High School Graduation this weekend was very hard for me. It was something I was looking forward to so much and it will only happen once and I am going to miss it. I love her so much and feel horrible that I will not be there for her. It has taken a lot for me to get past that and as soon as I do I feel horrible for once again putting Tom and Jill in overload at work. This time I don't have a computer to even help out. I cannot express how fortunate I feel to have Tom who is completely supportive and tries to make sure I do not worry about things there, although I always do. And then there is Jill who always has encouraging words that sometimes I need so much. She also gives me the real scoop at work even when Tom tells her not to, hahaha! Anyway thank you guys and I will get back as soon as I can. Today Aunt Bonnie came to visit us and I don't think I stopped talking the whole time she was here. I am sure I exhausted her but I have not had anyone to talk to in 3 days so I had a lot to say :) Well I could go on and on about how I feel about being stuck in this one little room with nothing to do and no one to talk to but I have to go because Terry wants to go home so I must get back :) The important this is Cooper is doing better, surgery is scheduled for Tuesday and I have not poked my eyeballs out yet!!! I will give more info on the surgery next time I am able to sneak onto the computer. Hope everyone is well and we greatly thank you all for your prayers!!!

3 comments:

miles3_17 said...

You are always in our thoughts and prayers no matter what the situation. I'll email you more later!! Take care and we'll see you all soon, let us know if we can do anything over here!!!

Huber Family said...

I am so glad to hear that Cooper is still able to play and giggle with his mommy =) Thank you so much for posting the blog. I have been praying for you all every day and it has been all I can do not to run up and barrage Tom & Jill with a hundred questions! Cooper is very lucky to have a strong mom like you. Hang in there. I know you have a ton of help already, but if there's anything I can do, please let me know. We'll keep praying knowing God will help you all through these next steps.
PS - Let Raelynn know that I got her an autographed pic of Sasha Kaun since he's her fave = ) I'll get it to her whenever it's convenient for you.
Take Care,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Kristi:
I am not sure how you are able to deal with all of this and keep your sanity, but I guess we do what we have to do.
Our prayers and thoughts are with all of you as you appraoch your next hurtle. I am sure Cooper will be leading the pac.
God Bless, Aunt Sue