CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

CHROMOSOME 9

Cooper had a good night. He slept comfortably and did not seem to be too distressed. He even gave Erin a nice poopy diaper to change right before shift change :). Yesterday our nurse, Beth, let me dress Cooper. It was great to see him in clothes again. He is looking more and more like our little boy everyday. Today they have cut his Milrinone in 1/2 and hope to shut it off tomorrow. This is the heart medicine that they are changing over to the oral medication Captopril. The also changed from the cloridine patch to giving it orally so that it is easier to wean him off. They will not make any further changes today. Tomorrow they will start adjusting the pain meds if all goes well. They are just taking things very slow so as to not have set backs. They have tentatively said that if all goes well we could move to the 4th floor Thursday but we will just have to wait and see.


They reviewed Cooper's genetic tests and found that he has an extra band on Chromosome 9. This is not a diagnosable genetic disorder and probably is nothing. They will take blood from Terry and I and if one of us has it then that will be the end of it and no big deal because we are healthy. If one of us is not a carrier then they will look further into it to see if they show any defects related to this extra band. There are birth defects related to Chromosome 9 but they are not presented by an extra band but rather a skip and mutation in it. Everything I could find about Chromosome 9 defects were mostly related to nervous system disorders. Anyway, I do not think this is going to be any big deal but we are just going to make sure.

So while I was sitting here typing we had visitors. Sherri came over with the kids. I was so excited and I had found a new park on my run this morning. So Sherri sat with Cooper and Karli and I took the kids to the new park. It didn't seem so far away this morning when I was running but after carrying Raelynn, it seemed a little further. We had a great time and it was worth the walk. We came back to the hospital and I brought Raelynn in to see Cooper and Sherri had him laughing. It was great! They were just playing away. We sat Raelynn in his bed and she made him smile so big!!!! So needless to say we had a very good morning. I tried to feed him by bottle around 11am and he only ate about 5cc but we will continue trying every 3 hours. Cooper is sleeping now and just looks wonderful. I really think we are moving in the right direction again.

This was Cooper smiling at his big Sis!!!

9 comments:

Nana Jan said...

It'so wonderful to see Cooper with a big smile on his face! The little guy sure deserves some smiles after what he's been through. It sounds like you both are having a better day with many more to come. We'll keep our fingers crossed that he get's to the 4th floor on Thursday, another step closer to coming home, hooray! Give him a big kiss from us and tell him we love him.
Take care and please run in safe areas!
Hugs to you all
Jan

Huber Family said...

What a beautiful smile! As always, glad to hear more good news and see the little champ look so happy (and his momma sound so happy as well!) Hope your move to the 4th floor comes quickly!
Prayers and positive thoughts heading your way ...
Jenny, Corey, Riley & Gage

miles3_17 said...

Wow he looks AMAZING and such a doll!!! He was definately having fun w/ his big sis again. Glad to hear things are getting closer and closer to a very strong recovery. Keep hanging in there and all WILL be ok. Love ya tons and we miss you. Camps going on like crazy and my brothers wedding this weekend, so I'll post soon too. Take care. Tell Terry and Raelynn all the Ballard's say hello as well. Talk to you soon

Anonymous said...

Kristi you have no idea how wonderful it was to see that picture, thank you. I pray everything will continue to improve. I am assuming you ran WEST this morning. Ha. Give my little man a hug from Grandma when he wakes up. Take care and will see you soon.

I Love You
Mom

The Wiley Clan said...

How wonderful to see that big handsome smile return! :) Cooper looks great!

Glad to hear that you're having a better day, complete with a visit from your little girl! :)

Try to get outside and take a few deep breaths of fresh air--it's beautiful!

We'll say prayers that Thursday is the day to move him out of PICU! :)

Hugs,
Jana, Isaac & Emma

Valerie said...

Kristi,
I'm so glad that Cooper is feeling better. I'm sorry that his night was so cruddy after I left you. The end is in sight...but it makes the final push seem that much longer. I'm at work tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll have Cooper or not. I can at least come say hi. I was hoping you'd be on the floor by now, but that's the way it goes. See you soon!

Tatum Eck said...

Kristi I love seeing that smile on his face. That is what we have all been waiting all these weeks to see!! God is Good and is in control! I'm so happy you have been getting your runs in! That has to be giving you the much needed energy you have been needing!! You are in our thoughts everyday! We miss you and I hope to see you soon!! Good things are going to continue to happen....I just know it!!

Tatum Eck

Anonymous said...

It was great to sign on tonight and see Cooper smiling at you as the page came up. What a cutie he is. Sounds like you had a good day today. Here's to an even better tomorrow. Take care.
Vicky

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I over warm-hearted post. Specially the title attracted me to review the intact story.