CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 2, 2008

DOCTOR SITS DOWN TO REVIEW....

Well Dr. Webster was just in to give me a review of where we are with Cooper. I will try to give you a run down of what she said, not just what I heard. Cooper is very close to being off the drips which are the drugs that run continuously in him. They are replaced with sleep and pain meds that are just given to him through his IV's every so often. It is easier to take him off the ventilator on these other drugs and they last longer than the drips and will be easier to wean him completely off of. He is also got his settings on ventilator down but they are unable to take him off because there is too much pressure on his lungs when he breathes on his own because of his swollen abdomen. She ordered the ultra sounds this morning and he just had an ECHO of his heart. She will review these to see why there is so much added fluid in his abdomen and talk to Dr. O'Brien to see if the right side of the heart is still not pumping hard enough to get the blood into his lungs therefore affecting the other organs. In addition there is a bacteria growing around the ventilator tube that is causing an infection so she is treating that as well. It will be tomorrow before she reviews the ECHO and the ultrasounds to sort out exactly what is going on inside his little body.

Of course my minded started with the "What If's" but I did not let myself ask them. The whole time she was talking I just kept hearing, we still have a very long way to go and what if his heart still isn't working right? Where is that light at the end of the tunnel going?????

JEEZ! Just in the time I have been trying to update this blog I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. So Julie who works with cardiology just stopped by and said she would find out the results of the ECHO for me that I didn't need to worry all night. She is sweet. Then when I was typing that here came Dr. O'Brien and his team. Dr. O'Brien said they would look at the ECHO and the Ultra Sound but he said he was confident the heart was ok. He said for me not to worry. Cooper is doing really good. Stacy, another cardiac nurse, said he is just taking baby steps but it is ok. She said he looks good. The cardiac team is very sweet and couple of them hung back to make sure I was ok. They said they feel like we're part of their family and would make sure I knew what was going on as soon as they could review it. They said he should have poorer stats if something was wrong with his heart. They said he is eating and peeing and pooping so he is doing ok. So I will continue to sit here and wait for more news and update you as soon as I receive it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I keep reading is good news. That is something to be really joyous about. Might be slow good news, but its good news. Hugs and prayers from our home to yours and also from the office. Everything is working just as planned...your baby boy is making it through! Go Dumbo! Go Dumbo! Shake your booty!

Jill

Huber Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Huber Family said...

Well, it sounds like positive news about his heart = ) Keep in mind, the docs don't want to give you false hope. So, hold on tight to the good news and it will pull you through the rough spots. I wish I could speed his recovery along somehow for you, I know this ride has been too long. As alway, you're all in our thoughts and prayers.
Take Care,
Jen, Corey, Riley & Gage

Nana Jan said...

We're just checking your blog, have been gone all day. It sounds like the Doctor's think everything is okay with Cooper's heart, very encouraging! He has been through so much I'm sure it's going to take awhile for him to be 100 per cent again but it will happen! Just hang in there girl, I know it's been a very long road for both you and Terry but at least your on the downside and will hopefully be home with all your family very soon! We're thinking and praying for you from AZ.
Jan, Tom and the Oyler's