CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

MOVING DAY.....

Wow! What a morning! Things are chaos here with fire alarms and code blues everywhere. The good news is Cooper is headed to the 4th floor later this afternoon. He is doing great and the Blue Team from the floor was just by to acquaint themselves with Cooper. Things seem to be going well with weaning him off the Ativan and Methadone. They dropped the Methadone down by 10% this morning. He shows little agitation and his blood pressure and heart rate are very good. He is staying awake much more and wanting to play just like before. His neck is still slightly weak but that will come with time.

The OT was down this morning to talk about Cooper's feeding. If they take him for a swallow test now he will fail she is quite sure and then they would proceed with more drastic feeding measures. More than likely they would look at putting a tube in his stomach surgically that we could access to feed him. Because the fact that it is the right vocal cord that appears paralyzed is somewhat troubling to the doctors. Of course, once again, Cooper has a medical condition that does not make sense. Apparently it is the left vocal cord that is sometimes paralyzed in heart patients but according to Dr. O'Brien, with Cooper's heart condition it is not common. We have discussed the fact that the cannulas were on the right side and they may have caused the damage but again Dr. O'Brien said he would be surprised. Therefore, they are opting to not proceed forward with the swallow test at this time. We will go home with the NG tube (feeding tube that goes down his nose) for 1 month. At that time we will return and NT will look again at the vocal cord and see it has recovered. We will have a pretty good idea ourselves because if it is healing he will have a voice again. I am not thrilled with going home with the NG tube. We did last time and it is a real pain. However, it is what it is and we will adapt. I do not know where my new found patience is coming from but I think we have just had to deal with such life or death situations that the trivial things are just another step in the process to me now. If after the 1 month time, Cooper's vocal cord still appears paralyzed we will proceed forward with the swallow test and they will take things from there. My real concerns with all of this is that I will not be able to hear him cry. How will I wake at night? He is 6 months old now. He should be eating solids. How is this going to affect his growth? These are things I am concerned with. I think that I will be calling our pediatrician, Dr. Kelley, very soon because I know he will be able to tell me exactly how we are going to deal with all of this. Once again, I feel so fortunate to have the doctors we do.
So for now, I am celebrating our move to the floor and then you all know me. I will now starting asking when we get to go home! Maybe I haven't found new patience after all :) Thank you all again for your support. Please keep the prayers and comments coming.

We had a very adorable visitor today and I know my family will love this picture! Thanks Tatum and Donovan, we love you!

9 comments:

Huber Family said...

Watch out 4th floor, the Keefer's are coming! = ) So glad to hear you get to move today! That is wonderful news! If you are up for it on Saturday, Corey and I will be in the area and would love to pop in for a quick visit and drop off Raelynn's Sasha pic. When you have a chance give me a holler and let me know if that would work for you and what time would be good. Again, glad to hear the good news. Keep it coming!
Jenny, Corey, Riley & Gage

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

Yeah! The 4th FLOOR FINALLY! The feeding tube is just a bump in the road. He loves those bumps you know! I am just glad that the end is in sight. I know you are so ready to get home. We will deal with the tube!

We will continue to pray that things go smoothly.

I miss you and your ADORABLE kids.
Lisa

miles3_17 said...

Yippeee!!! The 4th floor is AMAZING!! lol. I cant wait for the next update, but sounds like the bumps are bumps and the big picture is he's RECOVERING!!! After this weekend wedding stuff is over and some of camp is done next week, we ARE coming to see you. Maybe he won't be there anymore, which would even be better, but I again appologize for not getting over to see our little Coop yet. We love you all tons though and can't wait to see more and more adorable pictures!! Take care.

Savannah said...

Moving on up! I'm glad to see that the Champ is ready for a change! I hope the 4th floor brings lots of smiles and laughs. Thinking about you guys and all the others!!!

Savannah

Anonymous said...

Soooo glad the move is coming. Every hurdle is just that much closer to victory!! YEAH!! Sending prayers, Cathy & Don

The Wiley Clan said...

Yeah for Champ!! :) We're SO happy to hear that today is the big day to depart the PICU! :) I'm sure you're a wee bit excited yourselves!

Just think of the many new friends you'll make with a new floor of nursing staff! :)

Hang in there--remember, the 4th floor is one step closer to home! We can't wait to welcome you back!:)

Many hugs,
Jana, Isaac & Emma

Nana Jan said...

Hooray!!! the 4th floor, we've been waiting for this blog and here it is!!!!! He's certainly moving up more ways than one, just around the corner is called "home". Cute picture of Tatum and Donovan, he has certainly grown. Feeding tube is just a "little spit in the buckle" compared to all the obstacles Cooper has been through, it will get better and Dr. Kelley will do a great job fattening him up!
Hugs to you all.
Jan

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to know Cooper has taken another step forward, what a relief. Hope all goes well and I know you will get your questions answered. Love the picture Donovan is so darn cute. Take care and will talk to you soon.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! We are so excited for you all. A big step for you to coming home! We are looking forward to it! We will keep praying!
The Cooks